Monday, November 16, 2009

Artistic Heroes



Wayne Thiebaud is one artist who I think really speaks to me, mostly because of how much he uses cakes in his paintings. I am apparently and artist who really likes to combine my love of baking with my love of painting, and it seems that Wayne Thiebaud is able to capture what I feel for cakes in his paintings as well, but he takes such soft and gentle things such as cakes and cupcakes and makes them look almost like buildings. they are smooth and round, but lose their soft frosting like appearance, they still look like cakes, but they look more like what you would think of a cake if it were a building. using straight lines and perfect angles he takes a flawed cake and makes it straight, which is something not generally associated with cakes. I like his work, but there is something almost mathematical about it.
painting: cakes No.1
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/thiebaud_wayne.html

No comments:

Post a Comment